I almost forgot



2 more tidbits from my trip:

1. I had a Marlin Perkins moment that suddenly turned ugly:

"Hey, look, it's a sea otter!"
"Awwww. Wow, does it have a pup? CUUUUUTE!"
"No, it's another full-grown otter. Look, they're playing!"
"Splashing around and around! That is soooo cu-- WHY IS HE BITING THE OTHER ONE ON THE NOSE?!?! WHY IS HE PUSHING HIM UNDERWATER?!! OH GOD ARE THEY -- THEY'RE HAVING SEX!!!"
"Hey, there's some more whales over here off the..."
"NOW HE'S BITING HER EYEBROW!! HE WON'T LET GO!!!"

10 minutes of graphic, violent, and disturbing otter love, a mere 15 yards off the port side of the boat. Thank God no children were present.

2. Every night on the boat I had extremely vivid dreams. Highlight of the collection: I was walking down my driveway to get the morning paper and looked over to see my next door neighbor MC Hammer practicing his 2 Legit 2 Quit dance on his front lawn in a bathrobe and slippers. It was one of those stereotypical subdivisions where every house is the same as far as the eye can see, and about 10 or so other guys were also out getting their morning papers and watching the Hammer doing his footwork and hand symbols. I threw up my hands and exclaimed "Please Hammer don't hurt me!" with a chuckle, which elicited laughter from all of the other neighbors. Hammer laughed as well and gave me finger guns, and I flashed him the 2 Legit sign (index and middle fingers up signalling the number "2", followed by index finger and thumb at right angle in the shape of letter "L") and headed back inside for my coffee, paper tucked under my arm.

I'd gladly live in a crappy subdivision like that if Hammer was my neighbor.

No comments: