You Lucky Bastards

Guess who I lined up to fill in as a guest blogger?



That's right - the Iron Horse of Broadcasting. I'm not sure when or how often he'll show up, but when I asked if he'd take the reins from time to time he did say "yeah, fine [just get off the goddamn phone]".

Here's the March 5 transcript from CNN.com.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP, "THREE'S COMPANY")
RITTER: Your apartment?
(LAUGHTER)
D. KNOTTS: Do you have a hearing problem?
(LAUGHTER)
D. KNOTTS: Does he have a hearing problem?
SOMERS: What?
D. KNOTTS: Yes, my apartment!
(LAUGHTER)
D. KNOTTS: I'm Ralph Furley! I'm going to be the new building manager.
(LAUGHTER)
DEWITT: The new what?
SOMERS: The new who?
RITTER: The new which?
(LAUGHTER)
D. KNOTTS: They all have a hearing problem.
(LAUGHTER)
(APPLAUSE)
(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: (AUDIO GAP) ... generation of fans and created a memorable character on the hit "Three's Company." He played Ralph Furley, Jack, Chrissy, and Janet's landlord, and would-be swinger. Alright, let's go to the phones. Arlington, Virginia, hello.
CALLER: Hello?
KING: Yes, go ahead.
CALLER: Yeah, hi Larry. I've been a fan of yours for, like, years. I really miss those columns you used to write in USA TODAY.
KING: Thank you. We're remembering Don Knotts tonight, what's your question?
CALLER: I like to call it "McPaper", because it's like the fast food of newspapers. You still read it, though, just like you still go to Mickey D's. I usually -
KING: Okay. Joyce, I understand Don got along very well with John Ritter.
CALLER: - O-Fish. Anyhow, uh, (INAUDIBLE) blog and was wondering if you'd like to get back in front of the keyboard and let your fingers work their magic like they did for USA TODAY.
[CROSSTALK]
DEWITT: Oh, certainly. They were two incredibly gifted and talented actors, but also very warm and caring people. They -
CALLER: Holy shit, is that Joyce DeWitt?
KING: Uhh… sorry friends, we seem to be having problems with the phone thing here.
CALLER: I always thought she'd be better in the sack than Chrissy. You know, like she knew she wasn't as hot as Chrissy and had to, you know, compensate? I bet she was into -
[CROSSTALK]
CALLER: - made out of PVC, and velvet ankle and wrist restraints -
KING: (INAUDIBLE) so we're going to cut to a quick commercial break and be right back with more of this special edition of Larry King Live, Remembering Don Knotts.

Just asking:

Q. How cool is Video Professor?

A. Really freaking cool.

2 comments:

Darth Roker said...

I had the same thoughts about Larry. He was so much hotter than Jack. A ball gag, some whip cream and a Mexican poncho -- he would be fun.

SuperMilkChan said...

Forget "Three's Company"...their slapstick 70's antics cannot compare on any scale to Video Professor's. After all, what do you think he's REALLY going to do with Tillie??? My network programming executive nose smells "Tillie and the Professor" on the Fall '06 WB lineup.